Thursday, September 6, 2012

KBC Medical Missions - BG Team Update:

The morning came very early, after a very long trip last night to get to dinner, we needed to leave extra early in order to assure we would arrive in time for the full devotional time, Joyce was giving the devotional. Not only was her message timely and well received, but she handled speaking with an interpreter like it happens all the time. I spent the day in the pharmacy, logging inventory. It was a growing experience. Reading each doctors hand writing and abbreviations. Both Ned and I worked away with just a little competition between us on how quickly we could complete our sheets. Neither of us were very accomplished, but by the end of the day I could complete about 80% of each script without assistance. By the end of the day, I think I was more tired then working on digging post holes. Grace and Peace, Bob When we arrived at KBC this morning, we heard the how the meal at Deborah and Joseph's ended last night. BG folks didn't arrive for supper until about 8:30pm after more than 2-3 hrs in traffic. The Brits weren't far behind. We left for home before 10pm. However, the group from Michigan never arrived for supper till 11pm as they had a taxi driver who didn't know where he was going, and traffic was horrid. They left for home after midnight - thankfully their drive home was only 20-30 minutes. As we sang "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow" in devotions today, it had special meaning. Thanks so much for your prayers for us. We've had a great day, and saw over 650 patients. In Him, Karen

Hard to believe that tomorrow will be our last day at the clinic! The week is flying by... Each day we see God at work in all that goes on... I continue to work at the "de-worming" station giving almost every person who attends a class of water with their medication - more cups of water than you can imagine have been given in Jesus name! Our station is out in the auditorium where all of the patients gather to be registered - the church is full - even to overflowing! What a privilege to see and greet each one in Jesus name. Many of us have had the opportunity to work with a Ugandan translator. Aida has been a joy to work with - so helpful, thorough and fun! We have made many new friends. Another great day! Joyce

Each day we do grow more weary. This trip has not been as exhausting as the others and we get done seeing patients in triage about three pm. The doctors get done about an hour later and the pharmacy an hour after that. Joyce did devotions and talked about letting our light shine. She said we need to remember that ea. person is special and needs the same care as the ones we see when we are fresh and not worn out. I needed to draw on that several times thru the day. I declined caffeine early in the wk to save it for the end when I knew I'd really need it. This morning I could barely keep my eyes open, and didn't know how I'd make it thru the day. I didn't have time for a cup of tea at home. So, I went out for a Pepsi on the street before devotions. It really helped get me going. Trust me it's the first time I've ever had Pepsi for breakfast:) Yesterday afternoon the Doctor's were quite exhausted and had to re-see a few patients and it was all they could do. I told them that I seldom drink soda in the States but have one each afternoon at the clinic and it really helps get me thru. They both tried it today and it helped them finish strong. They both had Mountain Dew. Hard to believe tomorrow is the last day. As Karen said as we sang strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS LORD UNTO ME. Andrew went home for a nap today. That's so unlike him I was a little concerned he just said he was tired. I told him he should get to bed earlier. Joking knowing he was also stuck in traffic for hrs last pm. and he was probably up way past midnight. He was back to lock up at the end, chipper as always.

We frequently get a smile on our face at some of the signage on the taxi-vans.

In all our travels, Bosco has ferried use masterfully throughout the undulating roads of Kampala.

No comments: